12 May – 4 June 2017
Preview: Thursday 11 May 2017, 6-9pm
The OVADA Seven Counties Open provides exhibition opportunities, support and development for contemporary artists based in Oxfordshire and the surrounding Counties of Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Gloucestershire, Northamptonshire, Wiltshire and Warwickshire. Artists at any stage of their career were invited to submit work in any medium. Artwork was chosen by independent selectors Paul Hobson and Isabel de Vasconcellos for inclusion in the Open exhibition at OVADA’s Warehouse during Oxfordshire Artweeks.
The selected artists are:
John Blythe | Lydia Brockless | Eric Butcher | Kieran Cox | Aileen Creegan
Giorgio Garippa & Oliver Palmer | Tom Milnes | Jezella Pigott
Duncan McAfee | Catalina Renjifo | Cally Shadbolt
Brigitte Stepputtis | Kim Thornton | Tess Tallula
OVADA would like to thank all of the artists who submitted work to the 2017 Open.
OPEN: Thursdays – Sundays, 12-6pm.
The following Professional Development Prizes will be awarded during the exhibition:
OVADA Professional Development Award:
Two of the selected Open artists will be chosen to exhibit in a new show hosted by Gallery at the Old Fire Station, Oxford, in Spring 2018. The prize-winners will be selected by both OVADA and OFS representatives and will provide artists with an opportunity to make new work either collaboratively or independently. The artists will receive tailored critical and professional mentoring, a materials fee and a voucher from Broad Canvas to prepare for this funded show.
The Rishi Mullett-Sadones Memorial Prize:
A voucher from Broad Canvas and a professional practice mentoring session will be presented to one of the exhibiting artists aged 18 – 25. The prize for outstanding work will support the practice of an emerging young artist in memory of talented photographer, Rishi Mullett-Sadones. Rishi represented OVADA as a Youth Panelist from 2010 – 2011 and was founder of art group Creative Collective, which was set up as a platform for other young artists to get their work shown in galleries across Oxford and in London.
With special thanks to:
[Image: Alexandra Charlotte Pullen – Rishi Mullett-Sadones Memorial Prize Winner, 2015]
- Directors Cut 7 – 23 April 2017 Preview: Thursday 6 April 2017, 6-9pm The Art behind the Artist-Led Space Adrian Arbib | Jan Crombie | Gerard Hanson AD Pawley | Jon Place | Roger Perkins | Lucy Phillips Hugh Pryor | Ryan Quarterman | Hannah Wilmshurst OVADA is an artist-led space. All the members of the current Board of Directors are practicing artists. ...
- POSED 31 March – 2 April 2017 Preview: Thursday 30 March 2017, 6-9pm The Experimental Life Drawing class at OVADA on Wednesday evenings is now in its fourth year and we have recently introduced a second class on Mondays. This exhibition provides an opportunity to see a selection of drawings from both classes made over the last 12 weeks. There have ...
- Audiograft EXPERIMENTAL MUSIC AND SOUND ART IN OXFORD 9 – 19 March 2017 Launch event: 7 March 2016, 6.30pm audiograft returns with its annual mix of new experimental music and sound, exhibitions, artists talks and workshops. This year’s festival promises to open your ears and eyes to extraordinary and surprising sounds and events; with voices emerging as if from nowhere, rotating ...
- Artefact: ‘Crossing Cultures, Crossing Time’ 10 – 14 February 2017 Preview: 9 February 2017, 5-7pm Artefact is an exciting collaborative project taking place in Oxford, between Oxford Brookes University Art and Design Foundation students, the Ashmolean Museum and OVADA. The studios at the university are already a hive of activity this early in the year, with challenging concepts being explored and striking works in the process ...
- VAGUITY 28 – 30 April 2017 Preview and Live Performance: Thursday 27 April 2017, 6-9pm Juliet Banks | Sue Chamberlin | Clare Crombie Clare Forsythe | Katie Hellon | Stephen Lunn Mae McDonald | Roger Pugh | Hugh Shelton Vaguity is a show produced by the nine current students of OVADA’s Warehouse Art School. Alongside their individual practices all the members of ...