Through a variety of exercises and tasks, participants will explore a number of contemporary painting processes and techniques. Designed and taught by an experienced tutor who is also a practicing artist, participants will be encouraged to develop their own practice within each session. This course is aimed at those with some experience of painting but who are committed to exploring the medium in more depth.
Tutor: Tommy Watkins
Tutor Website: www.tommywatkins.com
Tutor on Instagram: @tommy_watkins_art
Materials required to take part in this course:
Although hard surfaces are available for mixing, participants are required to bring their own painting materials. Please note that the tutor will be working mainly in acrylics for this term however is fully adaptive and supportive of participants working in oils or watercolours. Please find below, a materials list for those working in acrylics. Please do get in touch via email@example.com should you require a materials list for oil or watercolour equivalents.
Brushes (2-3 brushes varied sizes (4, 6, 10)
Jam Jars with lids – for acrylic medium and water
Roll of kitchen towel
Washing up liquid for brush cleaning
Acrylic gloss flow medium, 250mlAcrylic paint tubes:
Cerulean or Manganese blue hue
Cadmium red light
(students should also bring any colour preferences they like)
Canvas, Canvas board, Cartridge Paper, Wood etc.Optional materials:
Recycled news paper
All of the same materials used in previous session, plus:
At least two black paint pens with different size marking tips. (posca pens for example)
Ruler or straight edge (it is preferable if the ruler is a minimum of 1 foot but can be up to 1 metre)
Important things to note before booking:
- Due to structural challenges with our building, classes are normally held in our first floor education room, which unfortunately, is currently accessible via stairs only. If this would prevent you from attending, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org, in advance, so that we can discuss individual requirements and we will do our best to accommodate.
- This course requires minimum bookings to run. Should the course become unviable, participants will be notified 2 days before start time and bookings refunded.
- If, for any reason, due to Covid, we are unable to run this course in person, we will continue to deliver the course using an online format.
- OVADA will continue to advocate and practice Covid – safety measures including social distancing, mask wearing and sanitising as appropriate.
- We use Google Documents to facilitate some of this course’s content, therefore you will need a Gmail account in order to take part. If you already have a Gmail account, please provide this email address when booking. If not, it is free and really straightforward to set up a Gmail email account.
- Unfortunately, we cannot offer refunds or credit for courses that go ahead so please make sure you can take part before booking.