Experimental drawing at OVADA is an opportunity to work with a tutor who is also a practising artist, to explore a variety of techniques designed to refresh your approach to drawing.
Experimental Drawing is a process that involves suspending preconceptions about traditional notions of drawing and instead embracing an open creative process through trial and error, often resulting in fresh and intriguing responses to what we see. 3D and lens based approaches may be included alongside more conventional ideas of draughtsmanship and drawing from the subconscious.
As the building block of all art and design, drawing can be used to access ideas that can then be developed into other media. All abilities are welcome to join us for this course, as our focus is not on the technical process of drawing, rather exploring its exciting possibilities.
Feedback from a previous participant: “I got shortlisted for the Jerwood Drawing Prize. All thanks to OVADA for having brilliant tutors on the experimental drawing programme.”
Tutor: Asma Mahmud Hashmi
Tutor website: https://asmaahashmi.net/home.html
Tutor on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/asmaamahmudhashmi/
Materials required to take part in this course:
Participants are required to bring their own drawing materials however, paper will be available to purchase during each class. Please review materials list below. Please note that some of the materials listed will be used to create drawing tools as guided by tutor.
- Graphite pencils: HB 2B 4B 6B and Graphite Sticks
- Charcoal sticks: Vine Charcoal, Compressed Charcoal, Charcoal Pencil
- Sandpaper pad
- Conte Crayon: Black, Sepia
- Indian Ink
- Reed/ bamboo pens, Hawk quill, Crow Quill
- Different size brushes including house-painting brush
- Craft knife, erasers, and sharpeners
- Paper (available to purchase during each class (20p per sheet, exact change required))
Important things to note before booking:
- Due to structural challenges with our building, classes are normally held in our first floor education room, which unfortunately, is currently accessible via stairs only. If this would prevent you from attending, please contact us via email@example.com, in advance, so that we can discuss individual requirements and we will do our best to accommodate.
- This course requires minimum bookings to run. Should the course become unviable, participants will be notified 2 days before start time and bookings refunded.
- If, for any reason, due to Covid, we are unable to run this course in person, we will continue to deliver the course using an online format.
- OVADA will continue to advocate and practice Covid – safety measures including social distancing, mask wearing and sanitising as appropriate.
- We use Google Documents to facilitate some of this course’s content, therefore you will need a Gmail account in order to take part. If you already have a Gmail account, please provide this email address when booking. If not, it is free and really straightforward to set up a Gmail email account.
- Unfortunately, we cannot offer refunds or credit for courses that go ahead so please make sure you can take part before booking.