During this six-week painting course, you will work with an established, practicing artist to dive in to the joys and challenges of portrait painting, for beginner to intermediate artists. Using oil paint, you will explore the foundations of colour theory, paint mixing and application, and the importance of value in composing realistic portraits. The tutor will provide a combination of live demonstrations and one-on-one guidance for each lesson, but the focus will be on the practice at your own easel. In a relaxed and supportive atmosphere, you will gain technical skills as well as confidence and playful expressiveness in painting. Experience is helpful but not required!
Materials required to take part in this course:
Some paints and surfaces will be available, but try to bring as many of the suggested materials as you can.
- 4-6 surfaces to paint on: can be canvas, wooden board, paper, etc. Please be aware that you will have to transport wet paintings home at the end of the day — tutor will show you how to pack them up and will bring some extra materials for this purpose.
- Brushes: 5-6 brushes in varying sizes, ideally smaller sizes like 2, 4, 6, 8, 10. Synthetic or synthetic blend are fine, or natural bristles if you prefer.
- A palette: can be wood, glass, plexiglass, or disposable pad
- A palette knife
- Paints: ultramarine blue, cadmium red hue, cadmium yellow hue, and white will be required; yellow ochre, burnt sienna, Payne’s grey are optional.
- Linseed oil: this will be used both as a medium and for cleaning your brushes — please no turpentine or spirits!
- Kitchen towels or clean cloth rags
Important things to note before booking:
- Due to structural challenges with our building, classes are normally held in our first floor education room, which unfortunately, is currently accessible via stairs only. If this would prevent you from attending, please contact us via email@example.com, in advance, so that we can discuss individual requirements and we will do our best to accommodate.
- This course requires minimum bookings to run. Should the course become unviable, participants will be notified 2 days before start time and bookings refunded.
- If, for any reason, due to Covid, we are unable to run this course in person, we will try our best to continue to deliver the course using an online format.
- OVADA will continue to advocate and practice Covid – safety measures including social distancing, mask wearing and sanitising as appropriate.
- We use Google Documents to facilitate some of this course’s content, therefore you will need a Gmail account in order to take part. If you already have a Gmail account, please provide this email address when booking. If not, it is free and really straightforward to set up a Gmail email account.
- Unfortunately, we cannot offer refunds or credit for courses that go ahead so please make sure you can take part before booking.